Welcome To Emmanuel Sam-Uko's Blog - For Advert placement and Enquiry :Email:esamuko@gmail.com, info@naijapaymentsonline.com!">

Sunday 16 October 2011

BIG, BOLD AND GORGEOUS WOMEN




Curves allowed (from left): Becky Ross, Becky Everson, Marnha Holton, Lorna Campbell and Dawn Bartlett
Curves allowed (from left): Becky Ross, Becky Everson, Marnha Holton, Lorna Campbell and Dawn Bartlett
Curvy, cuddly, chubby – call them what you will, these women have always been happy with their size and shape. And they want the world to know it.      see more photos..
‘I don’t hide in shapeless tents any more’
Becky Ross, 32, a probation case administrator from Taunton, Somerset, loves splashing out on size 20 dresses.
'I'm more positive about my weight because my priorities have changed with age. I'm less bothered now about what people think,' says Becky
'I'm more positive about my weight because my priorities have changed with age. I'm less bothered now about what people think,' says Becky


I’ve been plus size since the age of 11, and I used to hide in shapeless tents, never deviating from a black palette. That’s changed. I’m more positive about my weight than ever before because my priorities have changed with age. I’m less bothered about what people think. There are big women on every high street – and they look pretty good. The fact I’m not afraid any more means I wear tailored, figure-hugging clothes. I take a lot of my style inspiration from the 1980s, and Debbie Harry is my icon. She looks amazing whether she’s slim or big.
There may not be as much fashion out there for larger women, but it’s getting better. Jaeger makes beautiful dresses and tops in plus sizes. Their fabric and cut is so flattering that it’s worth paying more. Last week I splashed out £200 on an outfit, including a black beaded top from Jaeger, a ruffle skirt and cherry-pink jumper. Marks & Spencer, Next, Dorothy Perkins and Monsoon all have on-trend pieces for larger women. Having said that, I find it frustrating that M&S’s Limited Collection only goes up to a size 18.
I felt my best when I was maid of honour at my best friend’s wedding in Chicago last year. I’d only had a couple of days’ notice, so I ran around trying to find a dress when I arrived in the States. Two women in Macy’s stopped me and said how adorable I looked in my velvet-bow hairband, which gave me the confidence to be bold in my choice of outfit. I bought a 1960s-style pink dress in a crazy print. Looking at photos of myself on that day reminds me how far I’ve come since the baggy days of old.
I love my figure now – it’s hourglass and in proportion, and I’ve got long legs. Plus, going to the gym three times a week ensures I have no bulging bits. Slim women are always saying they envy my curves, which is a wonderful boost. While I’m a great believer that personality is more important than image, I enjoy the challenge of showing people that when you’re plus size you are more, not less, fabulous.


‘Being happy with my body makes me more attractive’
Lorna Campbell, 29, a theatrical wig-maker from Bristol, works her size 18-plus curves with skintight clothes and bags of attitude.
'It bugs me that designers think all big girls are the same shape. I'm pear-shaped with small boobs,' says Lorna
'It bugs me that designers think all big girls are the same shape. I'm pear-shaped with small boobs,' says Lorna
I love being fat. Everything about me stands out, from my red hair to my height – I’m 5ft 7in in stockings, 6ft in my favourite heels. My size – 18 to 22, depending on the shop – sets me apart and I like to go against the grain when dressing, preferring metallic leggings and skinny jeans to
the baggy boyfriend cut. I’ve got a big bottom so I might as well accentuate it! I love showing off my shoulders in asymmetrical tops, and I cinch my small waist with belts. I top it all off with a slick of Mac Ruby Woo lipstick.

It bugs me that designers think all big girls are the same shape. I’m pear-shaped with small
B-cup boobs, but other plus-size women can be apple-shaped or hourglass. It makes me cringe when shops label their larger ranges BBW – Big Beautiful Women; how patronising. American designers get it right. There’s more choice over there, so I stock up on DKNY jeans and Anna Scholz outfits whenever I’m in New York for work. Material is important – natural fabrics work better on larger women. I spend more on clothes than my skinny friends – about £200 on a dress and £100 on jeans – because the cut has to be just so. There’s a growing online presence of plus-size fashion gurus, and I follow the blogs of Fatshionista (fatshionista.livejournal.com) and Diamonds ’n’ Pearls (diamonds-n-pearls-fat-girl.blogspot.com), who post pictures each day of what they’re wearing.

People assume that if you’re big, you’re going to be wobbly, but my body’s firm from all the cycling
I do. I’ve always been keener on exercise than dieting. I think restricting calories is soul-destroying. I tried a few faddy diets at secondary school, but at art college I surrounded myself with inspiring people who gave me the confidence to be myself. My friends are supportive. They are all shapes and sizes – what unites them is their positivity.

Being happy with my body makes me more attractive to men. I’ve been single for the past
six months after coming out of a three-year relationship, and I’m loving it. When I’m out dancing, I’ll often get told, ‘Your curves are sexy.’ The only downside to being big is that some people think you can take criticism on the chin, when in fact I have a soft side like anyone else.


‘I’m happy, my body’s happy – and my husband certainly is!’
Marnha Holton, 33, a receptionist from Dursley, Gloucestershire, feels happier now she’s a size 20 than she ever did as a size 10.

'I've never been on a diet and I never intend to go on one. Why would I when my husband is so attracted to me as I am?,' says Marnha
'I've never been on a diet and I never intend to go on one. Why would I when my husband is so attracted to me as I am?,' says Marnha
My weight started rising when I went on the contraceptive pill at 19, and by the time I got married in 2003 I was the size I am now. Unlike most brides, I didn’t try to lose weight for my wedding day because I felt gorgeous regardless. Being thin isn’t the be-all and end-all. The bits I loved about myself as a skinny girl (my eyes and long lashes) are still the same – but putting on weight has given me added assets. In my teens my bum was nonexistent, but now it’s big and pert. My husband Matt adores it and I can’t walk by without him grabbing it! My cleavage has also grown, and looks fabulous when I wear low-cut tops on nights out. Matt loves curves and his praise has helped me appreciate my fuller figure. He knew me when I was a size 10, and says he prefers the way I look now.
It did take a few years to understand how to dress my new larger figure, but I’m there now. I know that knee-length jersey wrap-dresses from Boden are flattering, and that V-neck tops from Simply Be play up my best bits. Before a night out, I treat myself to a professional blow-dry. My stomach is my biggest bugbear, but the way I dress downplays that, skimming over it, holding it in, or distracting attention from it with details on the neckline. Anyway, my two daughters – Elspeth, four, and Matilda, two – love cuddling my tummy!
I can honestly say that I’ve never been on a diet and never intend to go on one. Why would I when my husband is so attracted to me as I am, and when I love having a cleavage and bum? Happiness and longevity in a relationship is about accepting the other person and loving them whatever. My husband’s put on weight too while we’ve been together, and I love his big, rugby-player physique.
I am slightly concerned about the impact being plus size might have on my health. I already suffer from arthritis (not weight-related), so I do low-impact exercise such as swimming and use the cross-trainer at  the gym. My only bad habit is skipping breakfast, but I never snack and make sure the children  don’t either. I’m happy, my body’s happy – and  my husband certainly is!


‘I want to give plus-size British women more flattering options’
Dawn Bartlett, 44, a PR director from London, believes that learning to love her size 20 figure inspired her to launch a fashion line.
'Since coming to terms with my size, I¿'e been wearing brighter colours because I no longer want to be invisible,' says Dawn
'Since coming to terms with my size, I¿'e been wearing brighter colours because I no longer want to be invisible,' says Dawn
The turning point in my body confidence happened in my late 30s. Before that I’d been sensitive about my weight, hurt by the bullying at school and the derisive comments – mainly from men – in the workplace. But with age has come self-acceptance. I can finally say, ‘This is me, this is who I am.’ I feel a sense of peace with my body for the first time.
People hold a lot of preconceived ideas about plus-size women. Some can work in your favour. In my previous job as a PR in the music industry a lot of female celebrities seemed to find me less of a threat because of my size. I started a company a couple of years ago and think my size gives me presence. Most of my friends are a size 8, and they’re always telling me how lovely my curves are.
Since coming to terms with my size, I’ve been wearing brighter colours because I no longer want to be invisible. My favourite dresses are bias-cut viscose ones from Ghost that I’ve owned for years. They enhance my femininity, which as a curvy woman I like to play up. Macy’s in the US has a brilliant outsize department. There’s so much more variety in America – not just in style but in
size: I’m practically skinny over there!

I wanted to give British women more flattering options, which is why I have designed a limited collection of wrap dresses in sizes 18 to 22 (priced £99 each). I have made them in heavy jersey crepe which hangs well on curves. My label is called Grace-ful, and I’ve named the first dress Mamie after my late auntie who taught me how to shop. She always told me how pretty
I was. I’m finally starting to believe her.

grace-ful.com


‘It is possible to be plus size and look gorgeous’
Becky Everson, 36, a childminder from Telford in Shropshire, feels like a yummy mummy at the school gates thanks to her size 16 figure.
'Happiness and self-acceptance are far more attractive than a flat stomach,' says Becky
'Happiness and self-acceptance are far more attractive than a flat stomach,' says Becky
I’ve never been slim, and I wouldn’t want to be. It just wouldn’t be me. I’m a curvaceous girl – and I think I look pretty good. Despite what the media and movie industry would have us believe, it is possible to be plus size and look gorgeous – you just have to have confidence in yourself.
It’s all about the details. I never leave the house without putting on a bit of lippie and styling my hair. In summer I always have a professional pedicure and a spray tan, and keep my skin supple with cocoa butter. In fact, my olive complexion is one of my most commented-upon features. Doing the school run, I’ll wear leggings, a chiffon top and ballet pumps.
My mother is a size 18, and is very attractive – she’s 61 but looks about 20 years younger because she dresses to compliment her size rather than to hide it. Her confidence is probably the reason why I’ve always been comfortable with my shape. When I met my husband Garry 12 years ago I was size 14 – the slimmest I’ve ever been. On my own, I used to survive on jacket potatoes, but after getting together with Garry, I piled on the weight. I was happy and loved cooking meals for him. I was at my largest – a size 18/20 – when we got married ten years ago, then went back down to a size 14 after having our first child, Harry, now six, because I was being super-healthy. With our second, Libby, now four, fluid retention made me shoot back to a size 18/20.
I’ve since plateaued at size 16 and now I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. Garry has always said I look lovely. If I do have a wobble, he’ll say,
‘I fancy you no matter what your size.’ He’s a fan of bigger women in general, and loves Nigella Lawson’s curves. But then, which man doesn’t?

Heart disease runs in my family so I stay fit by walking everywhere – usually pushing a double-buggy because of my job as a childminder. I drink lots of water, never add sugar or salt to anything, and have three proper meals a day. The only snacks my children are allowed are fruit and bread sticks. They often say, ‘Mummy, you’ve got a wobbly belly.’ ‘Yes, that’s because of you two,’ I answer. But it could also be down to the fact that I can’t resist snacking on chocolate when they’ve gone to bed! However, I’m not going to beat myself up or go on a diet. Happiness and
self-acceptance are far more attractive than a flat stomach. I’ve got an active social life, a fulfilling job and two children I adore, so I’m doing OK. I may be pear-shaped, but, as my gran always said, it’s your face or your figure. Carrying a bit of weight keeps the wrinkles at bay.


No comments:

Post a Comment